Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Cleaning out the extras




I went through my Disney credit card statement because I am trying to make sure that I am not making foolish purchases. Since I want to pay off this credit card ASAP, every penny matters right now. Halfway through my statement I saw a $9.99 charge every month.

In June 2009, I went to the mall to buy my Dad a Fathers day gift. I went to FYE which sells DVDs, CDs (do people still buy these?!) video games and movie/video game inspired apparel. I was sure to find something for my Dad at a place like that.

The salesman was EXTREMLY friendly and incredible helpful. He helped me find the perfect gift for my Dad. While I was checking out, he mentions a promotion called “VIP Backstage Pass”. I would sign and immediate receive 20% on my purchase. It was free for the first 3 months and then it would be $9.99 each month. The salesman told me to cancel it right away so that I can have my 20% and not be charged monthly. Sounded great to me and I signed up right away.

It’s been 2 years and I have YET to cancel my subscription. That means my credit card has been charged $199.80!!!

There has been no real reason for me not canceling my subscription other then the fact I keep forgetting. It is so important to check that credit card statement monthly to avoid unnecessary charges like this.

I got the phone number online and called to cancel. The customer service rep was determined to keep me as a member. She would talk very fast and keep offering me different gifts. I kept saying no. Please make sure you are 100% sure what they are saying to you. At one point it sounded like I had $40 is coupons in my account that she was going to mail to me. She then threw in quickly “If I keep the membership open”. I was getting pretty irritated after telling her “No” three times. Just be firm and ignore all those fancy offers they tell you. I admit a few offers she said sounded really tempting! If you haven’t used a membership in over a year, it’s just not worth the money.

Finally I canceled and now I am saving $9.99 per month to help pay off my credit card faster. Yay! I am not going to deposit that into my House Fund because I am really looking to payoff my high credit card balances.

No comments:

Post a Comment